Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Blind Side of Marburg

I have but a few hours before I begin my travels to Zurich, Switzerland...but here's a little something to make you think until I share my adventures from Zurich!

The Philipps-Universität Marburg has the greatest number of blind students in Germany. This is quite evident when you walk around the city--there are special things everywhere to help the visually-impaired.

Built into the cobblestones in the Oberstadt, are special stones that make up patterns that when felt with the walking cane, tell the people what is around them. (i.e. door to a store, crosswalk, etc.)
Kind of a blurry picture, but you get the idea.

Rewe, one of the main grocery stores here has a complete map of the store in Braille at the entryway. Here people can figure out how everything is laid out. It helps give a little more independence.

I have been told there is a Cafe in the Oberstadt staffed by the blind. You can go and eat and get the experience of being blind because the restaurant is completely dark inside. Once I figure out where it is, I want to go try it out!

Other than that, its just important to pay attention where you are walking, but its neat to see how the city strives to make life as normal for the visually-impaired as possible.


So that is all for now, short and sweet! Have a wonderful week!

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite books (back when I was your age and in college) was "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig. And one of my favorite passages dealt with his advice to students in his Creative Writing class. When a student came to him complaining that he/she couldn't think of anything to write about, he would guide them through a process of imagining a brick wall... then a part of the wall... and eventually he would suggest rhat they imagine a brick in that wall... and then ask them to write about it.

    You, my dear, have made me really enjoy reading about the bricks in Marburg! Thank you, daughter, and WELL DONE! ;)

    p.s. I highly recommend the book, by the way.

    ReplyDelete