Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Brittata makes a Frittata

Hello to all you out there somewhere in this world,

I finally bought eggs at one of the numerous wonderful grocery stores in Marburg. So today after I came home from class naturally the first thing I wanted to do was make a warm, veggie-filled, delicious Frittata. And boy has it been cold here! This hot ceramic bowl of goodness is just what I needed. Perhaps some tea to make this lunch complete.

This picture is just proof that I do cook for myself here! I found out fast that the more I buy food in cafes, restaurants, or bakeries...the sooner I would be packing my bags back to White Bear Lake. Though I am making an exception for testing out the bakeries here; the brötchens, croissants, and other scrumptious treats are simply not found in the U.S. At least not when you compare the quality to price ratio...

I´ll try not to come back to Minnesota with too many extra pounds (you try resisting a .50 cent schokobrötchen Torben!)

Yum.

This past saturday I made my first solo trip here in Deutschland to visit Sinh, a friend from a previous Exchange trip, in Darmstadt. It was only a two hour train ride, and then the fun began! It was his birthday, but first Sinh gave me a tour around the city before we headed to his Party. After almost 3 hours of walking around Darmstadt, I was definitely ready for a little celebrating! Also just somewhere to sit :) The entire trip was a lot of fun and I hope to visit again! I also really enjoyed speaking so much German.
Sinh and I in front of the Stadttheater

Behind us is the Hundertwasser Haus, designed by German artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, and officially is called Die Waldspirale.  I wouldn´t mind living here!



This is a blurry photo, but the lighting conditions on my tour through the case-mates and catacombs of Marburg yesterday didn´t have the best lighting. These case-mates, that stored the artillery of the town once upon a time, were built into the hillside below the Castle. They were very cool to see, but it was so cold yesterday it was tough to enjoy. In the above picture our tour guide was in the process of explaining how the men operated, and transported, the heavy cannons. What is hard to imagine, is the fact that these men carried the cannons down extremely steep staircases into the case-mates. Muscles!


I don´t remember exactly where this staircase led, but before we ascended the staircase the tour guide had a little fun breaking off the icicles above the door and shooting them our way. It was exciting/frightening, but no one was hurt. 

Well, my frittata is now content in my stomach.
Bis Später!



4 comments:

  1. That house looks awesome. Also Hundertwasser is a super funny name. Say it like three times fast. LOL! P.S. I could've lifted one of those cannons by myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, Brittata! Du hast mich laut lachen! Und ich glaube Du siehst sehr Deutsch. Prima!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... bakeries! Glad you're eating (mostly) healthy, B. Good pictures! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see redheads in Marburg. Love the eggs too.

    ReplyDelete